Here is a cool little trick/technique that you could use to determine your soils acidity.
- Scoop some soil into a container.
- Add a half-cup of vinegar. If the soil bubbles or fizzes, it's alkaline.
- If there's no reaction, scoop a fresh soil sample into a second container
- Add a half-cup of water and mix. Then, add a half-cup of baking soda. If the soil bubbles or fizzes the soil is highly acidic.
- Amend your soil with wood ash or lime, if it's acidic. Amend your soil with sulfur or pine needles, if it's alkaline.