Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sharing Our Stories

As I have mentioned previously, I believe that one of the best things that we can do as homesteaders is to encourage those who have a similar mindset. I have written a really brief post about "our Homesteading story", or the point when one wakes up and realizes what one really wants in a self-sufficient lifestyle.

My story is one where I am in the process of breaking free, but also am wanting to. I woke up several years ago thanks to Jack Spiko and the Survival Podcast, however my family wasn’t on board.

At the time, I saw that we were chasing the Great American Nightmare of consumerism and the things that Jack was talking about really resonated with me. I changed my focus and the family has come along in little steps, but I would say that I am not at the ”I’ve broken free” stage yet.

We have done projects along the way to enable us to make small steps towards our goals. We took up camping, hunting and fishing. We made rain barrels to help collect water, started planting a yearly garden, put in peach and apple trees, blueberry bushes, grapes and have a small flock of chickens. We learned how to water bath and pressure can as well as dehydrate. (I love our Excalibur!). We also cover ”long term” ideas and preps like having an emergency bag for each family member and one for each vehicle. We also go over concepts of awareness; of our surroundings, news in the nation and the world and try to practice Operational Security when whenever we can.

There are some more long term goals that I would like to see us achieve like purchasing a nice tract of land, etc., but that comes with time. The main thing that we have found is that you must have a plan (how do you know if you’ve arrived at the destination if you don’t know what the destination is?) and work towards it a little every day. The other key is that our goals are not the end-all be-all. It’s the journey that matters. Everytime we help educate someone is a step. Everytime we pull out a needed item (ie: first aid during games) from our vehicle or personal bags to help someone is a step for us, but also for the person who thinks, ”Yeah. I should probably be more prepared.”

I hope that be sharing a little bit of our story that it helps you along your journey and encourages you to share with others as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment