Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Listen... Don't you hear it calling you?

The urge to move from the city or even suburbs to the country is a strong pull for me. It's one that gets stronger and stronger every day. I think about it during my free time, I often dream about it at night. I'd really like to get a nice piece of land for our family.

Recently, I've been doing a lot of thinking about obtaining a nice piece of acreage with which to be able to expand our homestead. While we don't live in the city or suburbs, we don't live deep enough in the county... or at least, not on enough land to continue our journey towards self-sufficiency. While we will continue to do what we can where we are, there is an intense longing to be able to do more.

To those who love the city, this makes no sense whatsoever. Why would anyone want to live in "the wilderness" away from "everything"?

Anyway, this morning, I was (unbeknownst to me) singing while getting ready for work. My dear wife asked what it was that I was singing and it was the lyrics from a movie that I loved as a boy, Across the Great Divide. I had the opportunity to watch it with 3 of our children this past Christmas break and the theme of living this way has been in my head, intensifying my love for the country and continuing my passion for our goals.

Anyway, the lyrics of the song, which have been running through my head all day are...

Across the great divide
Is a place well call our our own.
As together we ride
Out across the great divide.

Oh, Listen.
Don't you hear it calling you?
Listen.

With hearts thrown open wide
Together we will ride
Hand in hand across the great divide

With hearts thrown open wide
Together we will ride
Hand in hand across the great divide

Across the great divide
Is a place well call our our own
As together we ride
Out across the great divide.

Look around us
The beauty of God's country surrounds us.
Liftin' up our souls
To keep them from the cold
Turning all our winters into springs

With work and love and pride
Farming side by side
Together out across the great divide

What goals do you have that you are working towards? What motivates you? What calls to you?

 Listen... Don't you hear it calling you?


1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to find this song forever. One of my favourites. But I can't find it anywhere...these lyrics are as close to the song as I've gotten. Any help would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete