Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

My Farm - a poem

This is a beautiful poem that I came across a long time ago. I think that it wonderfully sums up the homesteading attitude and a life lived by God's grace.

My Farm

My farm, to me, is not just land,

Where bare, unpainted buildings stand,

To me, my farm is nothing less,

Than all created loveliness.

My farm is not where I must soil

My hands in endless, dreary toil,

But where, through seed and swelling pod,

I've learned to walk and talk with God.

My farm, to me, is not a place

Outmoded by a modern race.

For here, I think I just see less

Of evil, greed, and selfishness.

My farm's not lonely ... for all day

I hear my children shout at play.

And here, when age comes, free from fears,

I'll live again, long joyous years.

My farm's a haven ... here dwells rest,

Security and happiness ...

What e're befalls the world outside

Here faith, and hope, and love abide.

And so my farm is not just land

Where bare, unpainted buildings stand.

To me, my farm is nothing less

Than all God's hoarded loveliness.

-- Anonymous

1 comment:

  1. This poem has been in our family for years. It was given to my children's great grandfather, who was an apple farmer in Saratoga Springs, NY. I recently came across the original copy that was given to him; old and tattered. I wish we knew the author.

    ReplyDelete